The Traditional Paddlers Gathering
So, you’re ready to learn how to make paddling mittens! “Mittens can turn an otherwise frigid water day in to a warm and comfy experience. Embracing the DIY culture of the Arctic peoples The Traditional Paddlers Gathering is offering you the chance to make them yourself at the event this year. $15.00, pay when you attend. Please bring cash or check! And yes, we have leopard print. And black.”
Back by popular demand “Qajaq Film Festival”
Get your Go-Pro on! Bring us your best, your funniest, or your most dramatic qajaqing video clips for our first Film Festival. As part of the evening presentation, we’ll view your video and present a special award for the crowd favorite. Paddling, rescues, rolling, it doesn’t matter how professional or not! Videos should be short, 3 minutes or less, and in the appropriate format on a USB memory stick. Here’s your chance to start your career as a film maker. Show us your stuff, show us your failures, we’ll love you anyways.
10 Reasons to Join Us
1. What, you’ve got plans for September 5th – 8th, 2019? (Event starts at Noon, Thursday). Or you can join us at 6pm Wednesday night if you want to carve a paddle under the professional direction of Don Beale and JoAnne Barta on Thursday.
2. Excite your other half by explaining that you’ll return knowing new Greenlandic rope tricks, how to cut a rib, or how to skin a qajaq. Sorry honey, these aren’t dance moves!
3. Picture yourself among the happy traditional paddlers in the photo gallery from past Gatherings and imagine your sense of bliss if you were among them.
4. You’ll be joining us for our third year at the Parker Scout Reservation, on beautiful North Long Lake, in Nisswa, MN. Here you can paddle, roll, pretend you’re in Greenland, or hang out all weekend with Chuck Smith learning Skin-on-frame building techniques. You’ll experience beautiful sunsets, chilly evenings, warm water, first rate instruction and bonfires.
5. See and paddle Minnesota’s largest collection of hand-made, skin-on-frame kayaks. Experience the feel of paddling one of Qajaq USA’s midwest fleet replicas.
6. Watch your loved ones’ faces light with joy when you explain that you’re paying good money to hang upside down in a kayak for hours.
7. Spend quality time with special guest mentors and our delightful cast of local mentors. They will be sure to give you a hand up when you need it!
8. Discuss your rolling technique with people who might possibly be interested.
9. Participate in west-central Minnesota’s premier harpoon contest and our second annual Palo’s Wedding Relay Race. Preceeded of course by our own version of opening ceremonies! The band continues to grow. This year we will provide you with the words and music so that you can sing along to “Qanga”, (in Greenlandic of course.)
10. Delight your family by bringing home hundreds of dollars of merchandise from our silent auction and raffle.